Style / August 2016
This building, built beginning in 1921 by the firm of Hulswitt-Fermont-Cuypers, was originally the office of Dutch-owned De Javanesche Bank. It replaced an earlier office of the bank in Jl. Nipah, which had operated since 1864, underlining the importance of Padang as a trading center. In 1950 the building began to be used as the office of Bank Indonesia and is now the Bank Indonesia Museum. Located on Jl. Batang Arau, Padang, the capital of West Sumatra, the building is situated near the Siti Nurbaya bridge and was declared a national heritage building in 1998. Damaged in the 2009 earthquake that hit the city, the building was extensively renovated and is now one of Padang city’s landmarks, popular with both domestic and foreign tourists.
© GLOBEASIA is part of BeritaSatu Media Holdings.
All Rights Reserved.